RE: HDD Failure - What to do?

  • Subject: RE: HDD Failure - What to do?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:51:20 +0100

Ian,

Thanks for that. Can you remember what Knoppix tools they were and/or
where they were located. I had a quick go with it and although Knoppix
could "see" the drive (i.e. it could tell me it was
NTFS-formatted and
how much space was used/free), I couldn't see any of my data. I'm a
Linux virgin so all tips appreciated :-)

Incidentally, I also ran the Maxtor utility (PowerMax) and while the
drive failed the Quick Test ("drive is failing" and should be
replaced
asap") it *passed* the Advanced / Full test. I still can't boot with
it
or access it in any other way. I've logged a ticket with Maxtor support
but it's been nearly 3 days and no response :-(

Thanks,

Tim.