RE: Air Con - WAS: RE: Fw: It's that time of year again...

  • Subject: RE: Air Con - WAS: RE: Fw: It's that time of year again...
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:43:53 +0100

This exact question came up recently on the UK_Selfbuild list. FWIW, I
think it's a really *bad* idea, and you still may need planning/listed
building consent if you do still go ahead. You should check with the
planning office to be sure.
Anyway, here's the UK_Selfbuild Q&A.

HTH,

Tim.

66
Question:
> I'm contemplating installing an air conditioner in our bedroom, the
> question is - is there any reson why the 'outdoor' part of the system
> cannot be installed in the loft? The loft is well ventilated and well
> insulated from the rest of the house.

Answer:
'Well ventilated' is not the same as having free air flow.
The outdoor unit will be putting out at least 2kW (for a 1.5kW indoor).
That'll heat up the attic considerably.  The hotter the attic gets, the
less cooling the indoor unit can do.  Then there's a maximum temperature
the outdoor unit can work at.  Also, the hotter the outdoor unit
environment, the shorter its life.
99