1st step to computer controlled X10

  • Subject: 1st step to computer controlled X10
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:03:10 -0000

Hey all,
Having bought a starter kit (socket rocket, transceiver and keyfob
remote) a little while ago, Im now set to jump into looking at
computer control.  I thought I had heard about a USB X10 interface
being now available but I can't seem to find it so it looks like I
need a Serial adapter and a USB to serial adapter.

I want to be able to use it on both mac and pc. Mac initially and then
eventually a pc X10 server.

Could someone please reccomend to me a good (cheap) serial to usb
adapter and also any considerations i need to think about.  I don't
want to purchase any software at this stage as Im planning to use
demos of a few pieces of software and see which suit me and my plans
the most!

Going to purchase some unit modules for control over sockets such as
pond pump, outdoor lights etc and may purchase some motion
detectors/light detectors soon. (funds allowing!!)

On a very limited experimental budget at the moment so if anyone knows
of anyone or anywhere selling second hand stuff then that be fantastic.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Noel