RE: Re: HDD Failure - What to do?

  • Subject: RE: Re: HDD Failure - What to do?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:07:18 +0100

Yup, XP with SP2.

> but I managed to rescue
> the contents under linux. If you don't have linux installed,
> try a bootable CD such as knoppix - you just download the iso
> image, burn it to CD and boot your computer.

Ahh, interesting. Do you have a favourite link for a knoppix ISO -  this
would be my first adventure with the penguin ;-)

> I think I'd also
> be tempted to connect it directly to your IDE bus rather than
> using a USB adaptor.

Fair comment. I was using a laptop with the USB adaptor was as I didn't
want to disturb other machines. I can sort out another test machine
though and connect directly with IDE.

> You should be able to copy most of your stuff onto the hard
> disk already on your machine.
>
> I've not heard the freezer trick before, but I don't think it
> would be a good idea as you are likely to get condensation
> indside the drive (they are not hermetically sealed as some
> people believe).

I'd seen it mentioned here before, but this was the first time I'd tried
it. I wrapped and sealed the drive in a couple of plastic bags and left
it in the freezer for 15mins or so. The outside was pretty cold when I
brought it out, but maybe I didn't leave it long enough.

It is possible that the drive has a problem that could be solved with
re-formatting, rather than an actual hardware fault? (it does spin up
after all)

> Hope this helps,
> Jon

Yes it does, thanks.

Tim.

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)"
> <haweste@a...> wrote:
> > I recently 'inherited' an older PC. It will boot through
> the BIOS but
> > then it stops. I've taken the Maxtor HDD out and tried to
> read it via
> > a USB adaptor with another PC and although it makes encouraging
> > noises, I always get the following message: "E:\ is not
accessible.