RE: Anyone ever used Lonworks ?

  • Subject: RE: Anyone ever used Lonworks ?
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:55:19 +0100

Sort of Tim. The Smartkontrols equipment is a Lon based system - it uses
LPT10 transceivers in every module to provide both power and data down the
same twisted pair. The system does not carry the lonmark logo etc because
it
is designed to be a single vendor system and not part of a wider open
systems installation. The modules are application specific pre-programmed
units and the system includes it's own proprietary
housekeeping/registration
module so as to avoid the need for lon builder or other binding tools to
set
the system up. It is still perfectly feasible to interface to the
smartkontrols system using either a Lon gateway (this is how they integrate
the Mitsubishi City Multi air con system and Helvar Digidim lighting into
their system) or the smartkontrols serial adapter (used for AMX &
Crestron
integration amongst other things) and smartkontrols also freely offer the
serial coms protocol to anyone who wants it. They also built a registration
module to allow direct integration and addressing of Leax lighting controls
as they also use Lon for their network.

When it comes down to the low level programming then I'm not much help. The
pre-programmed nature of the smartkontrols product means I don't have to
know anything too technical about the underlying network protocols other
than addressing limits and cabling issues. I simply plug it all together,
push some buttons or change some configs and it will work. I'd almost call
it plug & play if these terms did not carry so much baggage!!

_____