IR repeater over Cat5 ?

  • Subject: IR repeater over Cat5 ?
  • From: "David Chapman" <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:00:43 +0100

I'm planning on installing 6 or 8 ceiling speakers throughout downstairs
rooms of the house, these will be wired back to node 0 where there will be
patch panel that will allow me to connect to required audio feed.

A simple system, I'm not planning on wall mounted controls in the rooms but
it would be nice to be able to mute the speakers or even better control the
sound from the remote room. Each room will have plenty (well a few) Cat5
wall sockets.

What would be nice would be a small passive IR receiver that I could plug
in
to the Cat5 socket and that at the other end in node 0 would be a
transmitter that would be close enough to the audio device to control it.
This could maybe feed power to the receiver down the Cat5 ?

Anyone know if a device like this exists ?

David C