Re: Rako lighting

Hi John

John Nye wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking at updating my lighting (currently using x10 which is
rather
>flaky) and I'm tempted to go down the Rako (www.rakocontrols.com) route
as I
>like the idea of being able to introduce it progressively across the
house.

>Also the ease of installation with no need to start laying masses of
cable
>(and the grief that that would bring me) is another key factor.
>
>In particular I'd like to interface to HV Pro - Rako supports an RS232
>interface which I guess is the route but I've got a bit of a learning
curve
>to tackle first -:(
>
>Anyone any experiences that they would like to share?

AFAIK ...

Rako is a one way system ie there is no confirmation from the loads
that they have heard the radio command and you can't ask a light it's
status.  However as you can't command a light to change state 'locally'
either then as long as the RS232 receiver hears all the same RF commands
that a light might hear you're OK.  I am assuming the RS232 interface is
bi-directional on the RF side of course (?? do check this !) and not
just used to issue commands.

Both Rako and C-Bus are NOT mesh networks so all devices must be in
range for it to work, this is a real problem for me in my house which is
long and has very thick stone walls.  C-Bus differs in that at least it
is a 2 way system and can be linked with cable runs and multiple RF
bridges to provide full home coverage.  C-Bus also incorporates the
dimmers in the switches whereas Rako has them in boxes that fit usually
in the ceiling void. Thus the Rako switches are RF linked.  There is
also a system from Clipsal that uses RF (not C-Bus) but uses the same
physical design of the Saturn switches - (which is lower cost than the
C-Bus variants of course).

If your X10 wiring has already been adapted for DIN switched
dimmers/appliance modules then wired C-Bus is a possibility as the
requirements here are much the same.  You would still need to tackle the
switches though (which need twisted pair /CAT5).  Not sure what you use
to switch current X10 lights etc.

Kevin