Tim Dew Introduction...

  • Subject: Tim Dew Introduction...
  • From: "Cary Elwes" <cary_elwes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:46:19 +0100

Name: Tim Dew

Location: Edinburgh

Reason for interest in ukha: Rebuilt 300 year old house and installed 5 KM
of Cat5 cable suring build, now its time to start doing something with it.

Current thinking for set up:

Node Zero:
up to 3TB Raid 5 array server for file distribution inc. all my squashed
DVDs and CDs
dual tuner PVR software for digitalTV on a box or on server (not sure yet)
Terminal services of some description (MSTS / Citrix) to allow thin clients
around house
Comfort security box + interface card for pc & interface for lighting.
Patch panels
Broadband in
Telephone in

Lighting
Undecided on lighting system but wired for Cat5 solution
Leaning towards EIB at the moment - seems cheaper than CBus which is just
frightening
Or may consider building something myself.
Will include 2 sub nodes for din block wiring.

Home Theatre
Planning to build a quiet home theatre pc
Steering away from EPIA at the moment due to lack of power for FDshow
Will drive an NEC HT1100 (about to purchase but may wait for new native
16:9 version)

Thin clients
Prob EPIA fanless epia boards which I hope will handle video streaming and
access to web and apps.

Any comments welcomed - looking forward to learning more - happy to help
with any questions on any possible subject ( I am very good at renovationg
300 yo cottages now!)

Cheers,

Tim