Re: Windows Media Centre...

  • Subject: Re: Windows Media Centre...
  • From: "Keith Finnett" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:28:36 -0000

Phil,

> Is the current accepted "best" Freeview tuner to use the
BlackGold
DVB cards
> for Media Centre?
> (If not what else should I be looking at?)

I use the BlackGold cards and they are superb - i'll let other
comment on their's, but the BlackGold ones are acknowledged to be up
there in terms of quality (and price). Take a look at
http://tinyurl.com/cujp2 for a
comparison of the major ones.

> Does MCE definitely support 'just' two tuners?
> (Occasionally it would be nice to record *TWO* programs whilst
watching a
> third - that's why I have three twin tuner PVRs in the AV stack at
the
> moment.)

6 tuners - I guess you don't miss anything!!!!! The standard
supported architecture is for 2 tuners, but there are ways to put in
more than 2 - check out http://tinyurl.com/cgxaz for a how-to
on
installing more than 2.

> What sort of disc space does recording freeview take up per hour
(roughly)?

Size varies, but if i look at recordings i have on my box now an
hour (plus 5 minutes total before and after) ranges from 1.5 to 2GB.

Cheers,

Keith