Re: XBOX Media Centre

  • Subject: Re: XBOX Media Centre
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:07:05 +0100

In article
<6CB30C66E9552649B89429C82FAF5EDE01E04390@xxxxxxx>,
Glenn Sullivan wrote:
> But, if you aren't a tweaker and just want a media player, that
doesn't
> matter either.

Sadly, I am a tweaker. :-)

With a sickening lurch, I have changed direction again.

I'm now hunting down the elusive small+neat+quiet+cheap PC for the living
room. I'm planning on PXE booting a small Linux distribution and using
this to play media and to do other things.

The distribution will probably be based on this -
http://geexbox.org/en/index.html
A new version is in the works that's sharing a fair bit of stuff with
XBMC.

Hardware is currently looking like this -
http://www.bban.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=SILENT%2DAX

More expensive, but can handle lots of other jobs. I also get to play
around with MythTV and various other things.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire