Re: Windows MCE - dual tuner card, bit confused

  • Subject: Re: Windows MCE - dual tuner card, bit confused
  • From: "Geraint Williams" <aclcsc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:02:22 -0000

Helps a great deal Stuart.
I had sort of thought from my research today that whilst the PVR500
is dual tuner, it would require one coax and one s-video from two
different boxes, and a few people on US forums had opted for two
cards instead.

I'm sure mine came with a piggyback board, but high and low I can't
find the thing.

I also understood MCE2005 did not yet support two cards ?

I have the MCE remote and the two blasters so that part makes sense.

So i guess two identical sky boxes aren't going to confuse it too
much. I was thinking the IR from remote would change the channel
direct, but now i understand it just controls the MCE and then it in
turn sends signals to the boxes.

Time to get a couple of new digiboxes then and get my subscription
upped to multi-room (still think thats a ripoff from sky, grrrr)

Now have to decide if a pair of pvr150s are a better bet, and if i
have enough pci slots on new mobo etc.

Many Thanks
Geraint.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Stuart McMillan" <stuartmc@g...>
wrote:
> Geraint,
>
> You pretty much have it right. Two Sky boxes and a standard and
multiroom
> subscription gives you two independent tuner sources for MCE.
>
> The PVR500 may not be the best card for you to use. Although this
is a dual
> tuner card it ships with only one set of composite inputs on the
back panel.
> There is a back plate adapter that adds the extra set of inputs
but it has
> been difficult to get these in the UK. I know that it is available
in the US
> and someone in Ireland was also able to get one. Most people just
go with
> two separate MCE150 analogue tuners.
>
> The MCE remote control receiver has two IR blaster outputs on the
back of
> it. One of these should be attached close to each Sky Box to issue
the
> channel change commands by IR. In simple terms just like Sky Plus
one box is
> used for watching live TV and the other is purely for recording
another
> channel that needs to be recorded at the same time. Once MCE has
decided
> which is which it pretty much doesn't matter to you as MCE knows
which one
> to change.
>
> Hope some of this helps.
>
> Stuart
>

> Stuart J McMillan
> GiGTEK Media Computers
> 7 Comet House
> Calleva Park
> Aldermaston
> Reading
> RG7 5JA
> T:   0118 981 0800
> M:  0798 406 9777
> E:   stuartmc@g...
>
> For Media Centers see www.livingroompc.co.uk
> <http://www.livingroompc.co.uk/>
> For Media Computer parts and sales see www.mediacomputers.co.uk
> <http://www.mediacomputers.co.uk/>
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE
>
> This Email and any attachments transmitted with it are
confidential and
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are
> addressed. No other individual or entity is authorised to
distribute,
> forward, print, copy or act upon any information contained in this
Email. If
> you have received this Email in error, please return to sender and
then
> delete. GiGTEK Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales under
> company registration number 3857268 and registered office at 24-26
Queens
> Road, Reading, RG1 4AU  Disclaimer v2 02-Jan-03.
>

>   _____

Behalf Of