Re: Creation of a Home Automation Platform

  • Subject: Re: Creation of a Home Automation Platform
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:47:17 +0100

Bram Biesbrouck wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm a Belgian student, who is fascinated by home automation. As my
final
>year thesis/assignment (Computer Science at the University of Ghent), I
>wrote an application platform to integrate several communication
>standards and protocols

Hi Bram,

Really intersting - sounds like a great project.

Do take a look at xAP as it was designed as a very simple but highly
flexible HA 'middleware' protocol.  I have it running with all manner of
existing standards from very low end to right at the top of the current
HA spectrum, eg X10, C-Bus, IR, DMX, one wire, Crestron, AMX, even
starting to look at a bit of UPnP interaction which is fun,  etc etc.
We even have it integrated into several commercial HA software
applications via plugins and some embedded hardware devices out.

I would love to read your document, particularly in English ;-) -
even a 'babelfish' online translation might work.  Although I lived in
Eindhoven for a while I never progressed beyond the usual 'fun' words.

If you do have interest on the xAP side I can provide you a load of
links to sites / groups /forums and answer (or find someone who can) any
questions you may have.

Kevin