Latest message you have seen: Seeking longer IDE cable

Re: Re: Ickle Puters

>You want to use GeoVision with a VIA board? :-o

I asked the list about that a few months ago and had no feedback.

My reasoning was that the board should do most of the hard work - the
rest is IO. I'd like something cheap to run and quiet as it lives in my
garage not very well hidden and would be one of the first things that
went walkies.

I seem to remember that it uses about 18-20% of a Pentium 2.8Ghz - less
if you leave it minimised. Monitoring via an IP link adds about 5-10%.
This is measured via Task Manager on a still day as I get some recording
from trees/bushes around the front of my house and the road.

I was planning on putting the drives on a network connection hidden away
using a NSLU2 (assuming the 'lets nearly fill a drive' logic of the
Geovision log will cope). A poor mans SAN.

Plan A is to get the box (I was originally going for the smaller fanless
ones and a standard MiniITX case) but then saw your choice and if it
doesn't cope reuse it as a PVR/Entertainment server as it has to be
cheaper than running full sized P4 all the time.

I haven't much time as I'm working again so the X10 switch replacement
project is on hold (sorry - I have the first set of before photos) along
with finishing the DIY but I hope to sort this out soon.

Thanks,

Simon

In message <20050728075727.E5597107A6@xxxxxxx>, Mark McCall
<lists@xxxxxxx> writes