Latest message you have seen: Re: What Multimeter? General HA Use

[OT] (ish) SSL Certificates

Hey all, - am thinking about installing an SSL certificate in my domain at
=
home so that I can set up RPC-HTTPS access to my Exchange 2003 server, and
=
am wondering whether to install my own CA, or if any of the so-called
"free=
" CA's are any good...
=20
I'd prefer to use a "proper" 3rd-party CA if possible to avoid
having to im=
port the root CA onto every client machine I want to grant access... - I
wa=
nt to set up secure mailbox access for a number of family members and I
may=
not be able to get round to all their PC's to import the certificate for a=
while, so it would just make life easier if I could skip this step by usin=
g an already trusted CA...
=20
What I'm after from you guys is any info about any of the "free"
CA's that =
come up in a google... - the likes of freessl.com and instantssl.com and
so=
on... - recommendations or otherwise, - horror stories, - CA's to avoid, t=
hat sort of thing...
=20
So - have any of you chaps used a free SSL certificate, and if so, what
are=
your thoughts?...
=20
Failing that, I am not averse to paying a "reasonable" amount for
a pukka c=
ertificate, - but frankly, for home use, I really can't justify paying
=A32=
00-=A3300 per year... - if we're talking =A320-=A330 a year then that
would=
get past "credit control" without any problems... ;-)
=20
TIA
=20
Paul G.
=20
PS, - yes I *know* it is possible to force this setup to work over HTTP
rat=
her than HTTPS, - but I'd really prefer not to!