Latest message you have seen: Re: [OT]ish - Tools for chasing out walls for conduit

Re: Burglar Alarms controllable via PC/web browser??

  • Subject: Re: Burglar Alarms controllable via PC/web browser??
  • From: "David Chapman" <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:09:07 +0100

>> We have found two ways to do this out-of-the-box (btw, not sure
what a
>> Red Rad/io screen is - but assume you are refering to a TabletPC).
>> You can use Ademco Galaxy alarm panel and Galaxy Gold32 software.
You
>> need to load the software in each PC you want to use - ie is not
>> browse/java friendly.  This is the option we normally go for
because

This is what I wanted to do. My house has an Ademco Galaxy but how do you
interface it ? The engineers manual mentions an RS232 interface board, is
that what's used ?

The other problem with Ademco is getting the parts and software. Although I
worked for an alarm company a few years back and have quite a few contacts
had no luck when trying to source a board or the software. Current plan is
therefore to replace the Galaxy with a Texecom or Scantronic panel but I'm
still looking. The BT Home Monitor VP1000 is interesting as an alternative
approach and there is a "white box" version of it with greater
flexabilty
from the people who run the monitoring for BT (can't remember their name),
it allows some remote control.

There were a few others in development at the Ifsec trade show this year
but
nothing much on sale yet that offers good basic integration - a missed
oportunity as we don't all want to go the Comfort route !

David C