Latest message you have seen: RE: Debugging X10 problems

Re: Blackberry

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 15:51 +0000, paul_watkin wrote:
> A couple of questions for the blackberry users out there as I am
> apparantly about to join your ranks.
>
> 1. Is it possible to have Multi Sim and Blackberry, I would like to
> keep my existing phone as I have just spent a bl**dy fortune on a
> factory fit car kit.
>
> 2. Is it possible to access my own exchange server for HA type
> activities as well as the company one from a blackberry.

Depends on how your existing company access is set up.

Blackberry can talk to a backend server in one of two ways:

- IMAP/SMTP/ICal(?)
- So-called "BES" (Blackberry Enterprise Server, which talks to
EITHER
an Exchange Server, a Notes/Domino server, or a GroupWise server)

If your company is using a BES server, then you will probably find it's
locked down. It is, in principle, possible to get a Blackberry to talk
to multiple message sources, even with a BES server, but most companies
try to lock this down.

If your company is having the service provider talk IMAP/SMTP to your
Exchange server, then it should be possible to set up your Blackberry to
talk to multiple accounts.

How do you tell? The easiest way is synchronisation of sent items. If
items sent from your Blackberry automatically appear in your Outlook
Sent Items, then chances are good that it's a BES server. If your
desktop email and your Blackberry use completely separate Sent Items,
then chances are it's an IMAP/SMTP service.

You will probably find that only one Calendar is possible, but that
multiple inboxes can be polled.

Regards,

Mark