Using a Mac to drive TV screens -- in different rooms

  • Subject: Using a Mac to drive TV screens -- in different rooms
  • From: "Steve Hill" <stephenhillmobile@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:00:58 +0000

Hello all

Apologies if this has been answered before -- couldn't find anything in the
lists. I wonder if anyone can tell me if (and how) I get the following
setup
to work:

We've just moved into a new flat. There's a little study upstairs where I'd
like to put a Mac. Downstairs, there's a lounge and a bedroom, and I'd like
to put a flat-panel TV on the wall of each.

In addition to the straightforward stuff (eg watching TV on the tellys),
I'd
like to be able to use either of the TVs as the display for the Mac -- so
that I can sit on the sofa downstairs and use a wireless keyboard and mouse
to (eg) browse the web, send emails, show the family photos, do my
accounts,
watch a DVD etc.

It seems to me that this shouldn't, in principle, be hugely technically
challenging -- it needs a sufficiently powerful Mac to drive a flat panel,
some longer-than-standard cabling between the Mac and the TV displays (I
think prob about 10m should do it), Mac-compatible displays, and a device
switch the output between the Mac's own display and the two downstairs (or
perhaps not even that, given that OSX happily copes with additional display
devices).

However, I'm having difficulty tracking down a supplier who can provide
technical advice and help me get this set up (I'm based in NW London).

Any advice would be very gratefully received

Regards

Steve Hill