Re: Re: Quietening server

Sorry, didn't explain very clearly.  The PSU I have is an Antec one that
is fitted as standard into the Aria case I bought.  This case may not be
suitable for you as it is only for MicroATX motherboards, with a maximum
of three hard drives and one optical.

You can however get similar PSUs for normal server tower cases.
www.silentpcreview.com lists the best.   I have heard good reviews of
the Seasonic S12, which uses a large 120mm fan.
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/psu.php
has uk prices for quiet PSUs.

I can only compare the noise of the two PSUs in their cases as I didn't
put the quiet antec PSU in the old case.  I did run both machines
without their side panels at various times, so I the added quietening
effect of the side panels of the Antec case can be ignored.  The Antec
PSU was much quieter, very little fan noise in comparison to the old
machine, especially as the fan is big and spins slowly when its on, and
is off some of the time.  The old machine PSU had a constant speed fan
that blasted away even when the machine was idling.

I would rate the effect of changing the components in the following order.

1) PSU (biggest reduction in noise)
2) CPU fan (got rid of an annoying background whine, the replacement
Zalman fan is super quiet)
3) HDD. (Can now not even hear it working, the old one was very loud,
especially when defragging)
4) Case (Didn't chop noise much, but does dampen the noise of the DVD
drive when the side panels are on)

Hope that helps,

Simon

LeeUKHA wrote:

> Which PSU did you use? And was it much better or just a bit?
>
> > I had a similar issue with my Media PC which sits next to the TV.
> >
> > What are the sources of noise?  In my case it was the HDD, cpu
fan and
> > power supply fan.
> >
> > I changed the HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint SATA, (about the
quietest you
> > can get), got a coolermaster cpu heatsink with a Zalman 92mm fan
over
> > it, (the Flower Cooler was too big and fouled the case) and got a
power
> > supply with a 120mm variable speed fan, which doesn't even run if
the
> > system is cool enough.  Finally I made sure it was in a position
where
> > it can get lots of cool air in AND easily push the hot air out.
Also,
> > have a think about air flow through the case, (so move / clip
ribbon
> > cables out of the way) clean out the dust, and space hot
components away
> > from each other if poss.  Finally I stuck the whole lot in an
Antec Aria