Re: REVIEW: Controlling Sky/Sky+ from the Internet

Paul Gale wrote:

>Following a post by Gareth on this mailing list, I recently bought a
home brew product that enables control of a Sky or Sky+ box from a PC
(Windows or Linux) and ultimately, the Internet. I’ve been looking for
something to do this for years so thought I’d share my findings with my
fellow HAers.

>As Mark McC doesn’t seem to be around, I’ve temporarily hosted the
review (and pictures) here:

>http://www.siliconpixel.com/ukha/controllingsky.htm
>
>Have a look – it’s a great bit of kit!
>
>Paul.

It's a different approach to IR so it's pretty cool :)

Having said that, my Sky box lives in my rack and has the IR positioned
in front of it. It hasn't missed a recording or channel change in over a
year (that's probably over a thousand recordings).
It also sends the 'backup' and 'Sky' button codes every 5 seconds to get
rid of the DOGs and to ensure the box is powered on after a sky update.

As for changing channels from the internet - why would you want to do
that <grin>? With Myth I can go into the web interface from the
internet
and play with the program guide, reschedule recordings etc etc. The
backend box changes channels whenever it likes :)

And, FYI, I recently bought two IR transmitter/receivers for $25 each -
a bit less than £47 but I did have to solder them together.
(http://www.iguanaworks.net/ir/)

David