RE: CD ripping automation

  • Subject: RE: CD ripping automation
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:33:14 +0100

I assume you're talking about something like the Imation Diskstaka?

If you are then it has *NO* drive in it - just a USB controlled carousel
that presents you with a particular disc.

What you're thinking about is something called a "Powerfile" and
they can be
found for about $700 on the US ebay (see : http://tinyurl.com/dwasp - this
one is expensive for a single drive unit but it does have a DVD-RAM drive
however has no software). They are firewire connected but the software that
they were supplied with only works on Windows 2000 or before (not
compatible
with XP SP2) or Mac OS 9 (IIRC). The latest software will cost you a
fortune
if you want to buy it and I haven't seen any "evaluation" [ ;-) ]
copies
floating around yet.

The powerfiles are available as either single or dual drive units (so can
have one or two discs loaded and accessible at a time) and were available
with either DVD ROM drive(s) or DVD ROM/RAM drive(s).

I keep thinking about a Powerfile every time I have to rip a batch of DVDs
but the shipping and import duty on one of those suckers would be scary!

Phil