Re: Freeware Media Centre software

  • Subject: Re: Freeware Media Centre software
  • From: "dwoolridge2000" <dwoolridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:24:16 -0000

If you're happy doing only MP3's...

SlimServer Software (free)
SoftSqueeze Software (free Squeezebox emulator--turns any PC into a
Squeezebox -- could run on any "Client" PC's)
from slimp3.com -- Runs on Windows

> Requirements are:
>
> 1)       FREE!
Check!

> 2)       Simple to use
Check!

> 3)       Able to utilise an Evation IRMan (serial port version),
which I also have lying around, so will just use an IR remote for
navigation
Hmmm... Not sure--could do on-screen SoftSqueeze interface if PC has
video out (Girder or something to send keystrokes to SoftSqueeze?)

> 4)       Provide a nice interface for playing music - TV PVR
functions not important, the PC has no internal slots, so adding a
TV card isn't possible, - although one which is able to work with a
USB freeview box may be worth exploring, - but this machine only has
USB 1.1 ports...
Check! (Music playing interface)-- SlimServer provides web based
interface and control for any Squeezebox (emulated or real) from any
PC on the network.

Hope this is helpful,
Doug