Re: My Node 0 Ventilation Solution (in Loft)

  • Subject: Re: My Node 0 Ventilation Solution (in Loft)
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:54:10 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)"
<haweste@a...> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Nice pics - glad the fan is solving your problems :-)
> Have you got any temperature monitoring in the loft now? (i.e. live
> temperature, not just the status of the thermostat). The Dallas /
Maxim
> 1-Wire stuff is pretty good - cheap too (free as samples from
> www.maxim-ic.com). I'm just finishing a couple of sensors to go
into my
> attic.

Well sort of! I've got a quasar 1 wire interface and a couple of
sensors up there.  Problem is in shifting everything to another PC I
can't get the (very basic) software to work (it runs via one of the
Lantronics serial to ethernet jobs).  All used to work well but I
haven't had time to sort it, then the UPS arrived, then it all got
very hot and I needed to do the fan, then...

At the moment I've just got a radio thermometer thing up there until
I can get around to it.

(I'd also like to get some decent and - very - easy to set up
logging and graphing s/w for this but haven't found anything obvious
that doesn't require some effort to understand and install.  Any
suitable ideas gratefully received.)

I've got a similar construction to you - insulation at attic
> floor level then nothing between the attic void and the back of the
> tiles. I'm sure it'll crack 50 degrees up there :-(

I think I was actually being conservative with my 40 deg estimate.
Installing stuff there during the heat had me bathed in sweat and
drinking pints of water each time I came down!

> Rather than insulate the whole of the underside of the tiles, have
you
> thought about creating a small "room" up there to put your
kit in
and
> then just insulate the outside of that ? It sounds like an easier
job
> than doing the whole roof.

I did think of this but I think that, in effect, that's pretty much
what I've done except that the cabinet is not actually insulated.
There is another reason...

> One final question . . . why is your attic so empty? I can't move
in
> mine ;-)

... which is... The attic isn't empty! Judicious shoving of
scalextric tracks, a 'robot wars' arena (kid's build version) and
various other stuff just gave it that impression! But the kids can't
use it either during the summer and winter for obvious reasons. For
two seasons though it's fine!

The attic was built with the intention of making it usable play
space (it's built with attic trusses to give something like 4m x 10m
of usable floorspace). Originally, we had intended to fully insulate
it into the rafters but complications over how to properly ventilate
the timbers plus a bit of a cost saving exercise (granite
worksurfaces and other toys used up the budget for the fit out)
meant that it was consigned to 'phase 2'.

Regards

RIchard