Re: [OT] Need help finding a tool...

Phil Harris wrote:

> Is there anyone that thinks they might be able to have a shot at
identifying
> what it actually was? If you think you might know then can you drop me
an
> email off-list and I'll try to knock up a little drawing of it for you
> take a look at.

It's not exactly as you describe, but I have a similarly unimaginably
useful tool which is basically a tapered piece of stainless steel with a
tiny hook at the small end.  This was given to me by a friend who used
to work in hairdressing, when I was describing my need for something
small and rigid to reach in and pull out one of the contacts on the
remote control port of my minidisc recorder[1], and it did the job
perfectly.  Since then I've found it invaluable for threading wires
through things, fishing screws out of awkward crevices and getting
myself out of sewing-related muddles.

I believe she said it was used for pulling small clumps of hair through
a cap while doing highlights, and they gave them away with the relevant
noxious hair product.  My knowledge of hair styling is virtually nil, so
I may not have got that quite right, but if that sounds like what you're
after I can ask her exactly what it is.

kim.

[1] think the wires in an RJ11 socket, but much fiddlier.  It had become
bent inwards while I attempted to manufacture a suitable plug out of a
bit of (slightly too thick) scrap PCB.