Re: Real world 802.11x distances

  • Subject: Re: Real world 802.11x distances
  • From: Sadeq Shehabi <binshehab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:22:12 +0300

Dean,
The best AP is the one you can attach an external antenna, the signal
propagation in WiFi is depending on the Antenna, you can try a high
output AP with external antenna, as the technology behind penetration
walls as I face this problem in everyday instillation is the thick
walls.
In WiFi there are some terminologies that you need to take care of:

Line of sight (LOS) - Better Pattern
Near line of sight (Near LOS) - Lower dropped Packets/ Improved error
rates
Non line of sight (NLOS) - Improved Gain and Connectivity

I only found one company making a very good antenna from the US and
have a dealer in UK that manufacture antenna that can penetrate
through the walls.

Please see: www.wifi-plus.com

Cheers,
BinShehab

On 6/30/05, Dean Barrett <dean@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I'm trying to ascertain what real world experiences people have of
802.11x
>  wireless reception and distances.
>
>  I'm currently a b users and find a couple of stud walls and a breeze
wall
>  are enough to almost kill a wireless signal.
>
>  i've been told that g goes further ? - is this correct ?
>
>  I've been having sneek peaks at a broadband enabled alarm panel -
inbuilt
>  webserver, 802.11g camera ready - event recording, X10 interface etc.
etc.