From: Rob Mouser [mailto:groups@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 30 January 2005 21:05
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] LED Lighting

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Mouser
Sent: 30 January 2005 21:05
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: LED Lighting

The recent posts on led lighting reminded me of "yet another"
project I
have never got round to starting. So with a little time on my hands
today I decided to have a stab at it. Thanks to the great Color Kinetics
bulk buy I've got around 30 12" iCove lighting units
http://tinyurl.com/4ym73 . At the
same time as the bulk buy I also
imported from the US a couple of iMops PSU/DMX controllers and a
Kinetics ColorDial! http://tinyurl.com/5jo8d

The office has two wooden beams quite close to each wall so I though I'd
mount a run of the iCoves behind the beams, the PSU's were already wired
in from when I built Node '0' so I just had to set the DMX addresses on
each light and wire them up to the PSU. Then a simple question of wiring
up the ColorDial controller to the PSU which is just 5 wires.....easy!
The whole effect (Only one wall done so far!) is really very cool. The
dial allows you to select (by pushing the wheel) 8 differing lighting
effects; White, Fixed Colour, Colour Wash, Three chasing rainbow
effects, random colour and random fade, oh and of course off! Spinning
the Dial then allows further selection within that effect. I.e. Changing
the fixed colour or the speed of the rainbow chase. There's a pure
white, dimmable light for when your feeling particularly normal! :-).
The chasing rainbow is really quite cool too!
I've chucked a few dodgy mpg movies from my stills camera on my site.
Doesn't really do it justice but you'll get the idea! Sorry there a bit
large!
www.mouser.eclipse.co.uk/iCove

My only current criticism is that the fittings seem to give off a slight
high pitched "whine". I guess its something in the electronics
within
the iCoves themselves? Rather a shame as if you want to "chill
out" it
hardly helps! Anyone got any clues as to what's causing the noise,
anyway to stop it?

Cheers

Rob