Latest message you have seen: Re: [OT] Asterisk at home help + XAP integration

XP vs MCE2005

  • Subject: XP vs MCE2005
  • From: "gigtekmediacomputers" <stuartmc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:52:42 -0000

A number of posters have been making comments about MCE2005 that I=20
thought could do with a bit of clarification.

MCE2005 is basically Windows XP Pro with the domain joining facility=20
removed. Underneath it is still XP Pro. With the difference in price=20
between MCE2005 and XP Home OEM of less than =A320 (inc VAT) there is=20
no reason not to get MCE2005. If you are building a new PC and you=20
decide to just use the standard XP interface you still have the=20
ability to change to MCE in the future should you want to. If your=20
hardware can run standard XP it will work, it is just the MCE=20
interface that needs the tougher hardware spec.

With Showshifter, Meedio (both of which I bought and used before=20
MCE) etc costing anything up to $80 to add to XP surely it is worth=20
getting MCE in the first place. I know you can get=20
shareware/freeware front-ends as well but most will need a fair bit=20
of time and energy in configuration.

Any other thoughts?