Latest message you have seen: RE: Kiosk PC - anyone got one ?

Re: Re: Control HV but not using a PC or X10

Thanks David

I bought the TCP stack I am using at the moment on the micro so very little
understanding at the moment. The only thing I have done is increase the UDP
message size it can receive from about 100 bytes to 1.5k.

There is an example web server page shipped with the micro - type in the
url and it serves a web page back at you with some data from the local
environment. I have no idea whether this uses a socket but I imagine it
does. Trying to work out how this works though might mean resorting to some
books. I know the TCP implementation is not a complete one and multiple
sockets are not supported. They have literally done just enough to serve
this web page :-(

Thanks

Ian

"David Buckley"
<db@xxxxxxx>         To:       ukha_d@xxxxxxx
cc:       (bcc: Ian Bird/CV/Novartis)
23/01/2005 20:09         Subject:  [ukha_d] Re: Control HV but not using a
PC or X10
Please respond to
ukha_d

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, ian.bird@c... wrote:
> I have been looking but
> have so far not found out how to talk to an MSS 100 from a
> non PC (broad meaning here of personal computer including
> linux etc.) platform.

I've not played with the MSS100, but have played with lots of these
sorts of boxes.  Most insist on TCP, and are willing to be either
clients or servers.

So to communicate, its just basic TCP.  Open socket, talk, and maybe
close socket if you ever want to stop.  There are no specific examples
of how to do this, as this is the first thing one learns to do with
TCP.

These boxes normally have a "direct" port that you can use,
or telnet / reverse telnet ports which have sophistications and
overheads that are unnecessary for this sort of application, and thus
I recommend you dont use.

If its a client, it will open a socket on you, so you need to be
listening for connection.  If its a server, you open a socket on it.
The gotchas involve when one or other end restarts, and you need to
connect again when one end still thinks its connected...

Some terminal servers talk UDP, and then its just datagrams both
ways.

I continue to have great sucess with the SitePlayer telnet unit, at
$79, talks TCP and UDP just fine.

http://www.siteplayer.com/telnet

[shameless plug]
If you want PC virtual serial port to UDP, check out a Buckley
product, http://www.haxxio.com/udpser, less
than $30! [/shameless
plug]