Now 0870/0845 was Re: Simple voip

  • Subject: Now 0870/0845 was Re: Simple voip
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:36:31 -0000

> > "Just to let you know there is a website below where you can
type the
> > 0870,0845 etc numbers in and you get the real National rate
number e.g.
> > 0118,01256 and 0800.
> >
> > So don't get ripped off with these 0870 numbers, pay for a
cheaper call.

0845/0870 numbers arent there to "rip people off".

They can cost more than a local call but they are used primarily for
call steering purposes.

0800 = Free (except from a mobile)
0845 = Local Rate
0870 = National Rate

0845/0870 can result in you paying more for the call particularly as
the number it gets delivered to may or may not (depending on the
company called) be in your local area and you may also be on a
discount plan which makes geographic numbers cheaper.

By using a non-geographic number the network can steer the call to
the best available delivery number.

Years ago, for telethons like "Children In Need" there were many
call centres to accept peoples donations each with their own phone
number and the intended idea was that you would call the one
geographically nearest to you. In reality, the first number to get
displayed on screen got hammered with calls so the numbers used to
get "rotated" on screen to try to even out the load. That just
meant
that a different centre got hammered each time!!!

Now there are still many call centres but only one number is
displayed and the network routes to the nearest call centre with
spare capacity ensuring the call gets through and reducing network
congestion.

This doesnt just apply to large corporate call centres but also to
charities such as the Samaritans. They now display a single 0845
number for callers but the call is routed to a branch where someone
can take your call. This could be in your local area or it could be
the other end of the country but your call will be answered. Not in
a huge uncaring call centre but in a branch somewhere which has one
or two phone lines staffed by caring volunteers. The important thing
is that your call has got through to someone in the quickest and
most efficient manner.

Similarly, a call centre may have hundreds of staff all sitting on
the end of the same group of lines but different numbers are used to
identify what the caller is calling about. The number delivering the
call (eg the number you dialled) and caller ID (the number you are
calling from) can be used to prepopulate the agents screen with
relevant information thereby speeding up the call.

Bypassing the system by dialling a geographic number may result in
one of several things.

1. you dont get through
2. you get through to the wrong department
3. you get through but the call takes longer because the company
doesnt have the info needed to process your call in the best
possible way.

When I used to have HomeHighway it effectively gave me two numbers
to dial out on. I called SKY about something from my normal number
and was greeted by name as caller ID had popped up my details on the
advisors screen. On a different occasion I called from the ex-
directory line and had to tell them all my details.

A non-geographic number also "protects" a company and its
customers
from number changes that can occur if they move to a different town
or industrial estate etc.

Hope that helps

Regards

Keith