RE: multi-zone central heating

  • Subject: RE: multi-zone central heating
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:30:46 -0000

I don't quite understand how the process is too long unless you are only
considering proportional control with no integral action to add in a
function that relates to rates of change - the SK approach uses modified
PID
type control loops (it's actually a fuzzy logic, so I'm told) but is based
on quite fundamental thermodynamics, and the type of room control you're
considering allows us to get temp control maintained to within +- 0.5
degree
C in most cases. Where this does not work is if one aspect of the control
is
unstable or outside normal parameters. The very fast heat input to your rad
would need to be dealt with as the degree of control from the TRV would not
have the relevant finesse to cope - most of these valves are designed to be
on/off so are not too linear. Some even give 90% of flow at 10& open
for
example. If you're interested I can look out some stuff on the kinds of
control strategies you need to consider and the formula used. If this is
any
help let me know.

Neil B.