Details on Telewest's DVR emerge - 3 Tuners & 2 decoders & HDTV

  • Subject: Details on Telewest's DVR emerge - 3 Tuners & 2 decoders & HDTV
  • From: "Ward, David" <DAvid.Ward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:41:17 -0000

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds18555.html

Details on Telewest's DVR emerge
Thursday, January 20 2005, 23:40 GMT -- by James Welsh

Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 8300

Cable technology provider Scientific Atlanta confirmed today that its
Explorer 8300DVB set top box will be used for Telewest's rival to Sky+.

Telewest's new digital video recorder (DVR, also known as personal video
recorder or PVR) service will be rolled out to customers in the second half
of 2005. The cableco has entered into a contract making Scientific Atlanta
the company's exclusive provider of DVR set top boxes for a two year
period.

"We are capitalizing on Scientific-Atlanta's extensive interactive
video
experience and innovation by using their expertise to lead our vendor
integration effort," said Telewest's president and COO Eric Tveter.
"This
integration expertise will help accelerate deployment of the 8300DVB PVR
and
help deliver a smooth interactive video experience for our customers."

The Explorer 8300 features 3 tuners. This will allow subscribers to record
three programmes at the same time, or to record two programmes while
watching a third live. The box includes 2 video decorders, allowing
subscribers to watch a channel while arching previously recorded programmes
to, for example, an externally-connected VCR or DVD recorder. Most
interestingly, the boxes supplied to Telewest will be capable of decoding
and displaying high definition television, although there has been no word
as yet as to when the cable operator will begin carrying high definition
content.

"PVR technology will become the enabling digital service for operators
throughout Europe," said George Stromeyer, VP and managing director at
Scientific-Atlanta Europe. "Our research indicates that 92 percent of
users
are likely to continue their PVR service, and 75 percent say they have
recommended PVR to someone not in their household."