HTPC vs XBMC

I don't think I have grasped this correctly .. and I will probably be told
to read more on this subject.

I am in the process of doing so!

But mean while can someone answer some basic questions?

What is the recommended spec for a PC to run Windows Media Centre 2005?

What capture cards are people using? Are they using ones with built in
Freeview? And doing away with an external freeview box?

Are you all using internal scalers?

Are there really a lot of advantages in using a HTPC compared to an Xbox
running XBMC?

I have read that using a PC people have problems with playing different
region DVDs due to different frequencies?

I am assuming HTPC will provide better picture quality than an Xbox as I
can use a DVI connection to a LCD TV therefore produce 1:1 pixel matching,
whereas Xbox will just be via component out or RGB.

I guess also that the HTPC will allow a basic PVR system to run. But is
this basic system really good enough?

A lot of questions and some that are probably very stupid ..

Thanks for reading.

Ho yin