Re: Digest Number 5254 - Small HTPC case

Robin, thanks for the info, especially the bit about noisy fans on
boot.  Hadn't heard about that before, but doubt it will be a problem.
Nice to know in advance though.

I've also found the Asus Pundit case
http://tinyurl.com/5d62v

Cheaper than a shuttle, available in black and silver and reviews say
its quiet.
Only disadvantage I can see is lack of an AGP slot.

I don't know if this will be a problem.  I will connect the new machine
to a LCD TV via a DVI slot, but it will mainly be used as a freeview /
PVR box, so shouldn't need massive graphics capability.  However we
would like to play a few games on it, so I could always fit a PCI video
card if necessary.

Are there any problems I have overlooked in this approach, or should I
just play it safe and go down the shuttle route?

Simon

robin wrote:

> (First excuse the mess in the append - I use digest option, great for
> cutting down mail, poor for replying)
>
> I converted one of my PCs to a Shuttle(FN45 based). My view, if I had
> the money I'd convert them all.  Only real drawback I can see (other
> than cost) is the fact that they only have 1x 5.25, 1x 3.5 (external)
> and 1x3.5 (internal). I did not find the limited PCI/AGP(1/1) slots or
> memory slots a problem. Layout is good, cableways laid out nice, if
you
> read the comprehensive manual.
> One shock was loudness of fan during boot but after 15 seconds it
> asjusts itself and is very quiet.  I took Athlon 2400+, crucial
memory,
> graphics and 80GB drive out of another PC. It worked first time.
> regards, robin
> > Message: 11
> >    Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:50:37 -0000
> >    From: "Jon Whiten" <jon@xxxxxxx>
> > Subject: RE: Small HTPC Case
> >
> > PSU was very noisy - no case fans fitted.  CPU cooler was noisy
too
> - sorted
> > that one with a Zalman fan.
> >
> > Bought a larger case in the end and fitted a silent PSU.

Or