RE: Re: [OT]ish - Continued Hunt for Smartphone

  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT]ish - Continued Hunt for Smartphone
  • From: "Marc Fuller" <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:46:22 -0000

Hi Rob,

I'm afraid I have no idea on prices. We got 5 of them free for resigning
our corporate contract with Orange :). I've got TomTom navigator installed,
but am waiting for my company to buy me a bluetooth GPS unit. Tomtom on
it's own works fine. I don't have the traffic plugin though.

All in all it's a great phone. It has it's minor irritations, but nothing
too serious. You get a good package when you buy it too. The package comes
with... The M2000, 2 Batteries, Charger, Handsfree Kit, Carry Case, 32Mb SD
Card, USB Cradle, 2 Stylus, and software/user guide. The handsfree kit is
just the stereo headphone things. They work well, but the wire is a pain. I
currently use my Nokia HDW-2 BT headset with the M2000 and that works
great. I've already replaced the 32Mb SD card with a 512mb one from Scan.
Works like a charm :)

It's not as heavy as I thought, and feels good in the hand. Obviously being
PDA size, it feels a bit odd holding it to your ear, but you soon get used
to it. The slide out keyboard is suprisingly easy to use. I expected it to
be fiddly with my big fingers, but it's not half bad. The blue backlight to
the keyboard looks very cool. Sound from the unit is also surprisingly
good. I expected speaker distortion (as I found in previous SPV's) but the
sound quality is ok. Obviously if you want to listen to MP3's (which are
supported) then you'll want to use the headset. The unit comes with all the
usual stuff you'd expect in a PDA, Word, Excel, Mail etc. I currently have
my M2000 sync'ing with my works Outlook via the cradle/bluetooth, and my
POP3 email downloading via Wifi/Modem. It syncs all my contacts, tasks,
notes & appointments. Those of you who have had previous SPV's will be
pleased to know that this one *does* support categories used in Outlook !

Anyway, this is dragging on, so now a quick bit about downsides...

There are no profiles for Ringtone/Volume. Although turning the volume down
is done via the screen or a button in the side, I feel like I miss having
profiles.
Those of you familiar with the M2000 will know the keyboard slides out (or
the screen slides up, depending on how you look at it) but the clip that
hold it in place gets worn down very quickly. Although it still holds the
keyboard and screen closed, I do find myself accidentally sliding it apart.
Dialling can be a pain, as it has to be done via stylus/finger unless using
contacts. That's the price you pay for having a pda/phone I guess.
The Wifi can sometimes be a little slow to detect/connect. Once connected
it's fine.
The m2000 seems easily prone to wear. I've only ever store it in the carry
case, but I already have a faint mark appearing down the left hand side,
from sliding it into the carry case.
Picture quality is poor. See this picture I took: http://www.serenitymeadow.com/misc/spvpiccy.jpg
When in power save mode, it can take a few rings to wake up. This doesn't
leave you with much time to answer the call.

Right, I really must get on with some work. If any of you have questions,
please feel free to ask.

Thanks

Marc