Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: [OT] Window 7 connecting to a Win 2003 Domain

Re: IP controlled power socket

Hi Barry

There are several Ethernet solutions that could be modified to do what you
want out there now. Essentially they are Ethernet controlled I/O which
would then need a hefty relay and switching circuitry added with the
appropriate safety in mind + back EMF protection. They would typically not
fit into a backbox, even a double with one free side.

The other alternative is a roll your own solution but you would need both
some electronics and electrics experience for that. Size would still be a
problem. I think if I squeezed the stuff I am working on now it _may_ fit
into one side of a double box. You would be into serious surface mount
stuff though.

There is nothing off the shelf that fits the bill for the home that I have
ever heard of.

Ian

Barry Myles
<automatedhome@smyle        To:       ukha_d@xxxxxxx
s.plus.com>                 cc:       (bcc: Ian Bird/CV/Novartis)
Subject:  [ukha_d] IP controlled power socket
11/01/2005 21:36
Please respond to
ukha_d

Now I know that remote control of power is the lifeblood of many home
automation projects and I've had a good look at things like X10 and
CeBus. I'm after something a bit different to these. I'm looking for a
single socket which can be turned off and on over an IP ethernet link.
Now, I've found big monsterous things with 16 sockets on them designed
for resetting racks of servers and they look really excellent but I'm
after something smaller [and hopefully cheaper] than this. What would
people recommend for this? Where would be a good place to source it from?

--
Barry Myles