Re: Firefox users - please note....

  • Subject: Re: Firefox users - please note....
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:00:26 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "J." <chemically_enhanced@h...>
wrote:

> Unless it happens to be your server that people are accessing. most
> servers ar throttled to handle a mximum number of request at any one
> time,  If you put your settings at 30 - 40 and everyne else does it
> acts as a denial of service to other users as the server will just
> return a 503 http response. play nicely!
> #
> </rant mode off>
>
> J.

Have you seen this happen? The discussion lists have been full of
people warning that "this could happen", but I've not yet seen
anyone
actually demonstrate that it HAS happened.

Pipelining requests doesn't actually add any EXTRA requests to the web
server. It just bunches them up closer together. The net impact is
less, say, than upgrading from a modem to ADSL, but no-one says "play
nicely - don't use broadband" because it might put too much load on
servers!

I agree that if one pipelined requests in, say, a spider, then this
would be terribly, terribly unfriendly. But this is in a GUI browser
where the page will be loaded, read, and then clicked on. The increase
is total hits is marginal.

Mark