RE: [OT] Maplin book PC (remember those!)

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Maplin book PC (remember those!)
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:03:25 -0000

I've found this invaluable resource...

http://groups.msn.com/BOOKPC

Which has an entire forum dedicated purely to the PSU issues.. -
apparently=
these things are notorious for PSU failures, and 99% of the time it is a c=
ouple of capacitors which blow. If you're up for a bit of DIY, apparently
i=
t's pretty easy to repair the PSU with about =A31.50's worth of
components,=
and 30-45 minutes of your time.

If attempting to repair it yourself doesn't appeal, then I have found this
=
site in the US which supplies the exact same original PSU:

http://www.smallpowersupply.com/

Which with shipping to the UK comes to $42USD, which at todays exchange
rat=
es is about =A321

Plus the site says units can be combined into single shipments which I
gues=
s should reduce shipping costs in a bulk buy situation...

Having read through the forums on MSN, I would suggest that *everyone* who
=
has a book PC in operation should consider getting a replacement PSU, -
eve=
n if it isn't showing signs of failure yet... - chances are that sooner or
=
later, - it will....

Paul G.