Assistance for Anosmia

I'm looking for ways to help about the house for someone with congenital
anosmia - Jenni (swmbo) has had no sense of smell since birth.

It's obviously not as serious an issue as having no sight or hearing, and
we
have heard (and made) most of the usual jokes and comments - it probably
makes it easier to live with me, for instance ;)

We have had a couple of cases recently where it's caused problems - I act
as
the house "sniffer" to check when meat is okay to cook, but when
I have a
heavy cold (as I did over xmas) we can end up eating stuff that's not quite
right, and suffering for it. I also came home a week or so back to find the
kitchen absolutely stinking of gas - and Jenni blissfully unaware, making a
sandwich.

We have displays around the house for caller ID etc, so as I see it, all I
really need are some sensors. There are a couple of things to cover -
something for the fridge that can detect "off" meat and something
for
detecting domestic gas in the air.

Has anyone done this before?

Ian.