[OT] busted HD help

Morning all,

Got a Sony Vaio laptop I am trying to fix for someone.

It cannot boot up into windows XP it goes blue screen then restarts.

I cannot recover or even take off the info off the HD because when I do a
dir on C: drive it says "an error occurred during directory
enumeration"

When I boot of the Win XP system disk and try and reinstall XP it says

"An error occurred while setup was updating partition information on:
57232MB Disk 0 at Id0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

Setup cannot continue. to quit setup blah blah blah .."

I am therefore assuming the HD is corrupted ... is there a program
(freeware - shareware or some tool) that someone can recommend that I can
download burn on to cd and run from cd to try and recover the HD?

Thanks,

Ho yin

Ho Yin Ng

Architect