Re: NAS

  • Subject: Re: NAS
  • From: "UKHA" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:19:23 +0100

On 04/01/2005 at 22:05 Alex Clark wrote:

>Is there anything better (cheap) than NASLite to create some NAS using
an
>old machine?  There was a short discussion in July about it, but
nothing
>since.
>=20
>NASLite doesn't provide any security, so I wondered if there is
anything
>better before I spend the =A310.60 on the download!
>=20
>Alex.

Seriously, screw NASlite ... look at http://nas.darma.com which is much muc=
h better, you can get a free version too - but:

"*Your free evaluation copy of the Darma NAS OS Small Business Edition
is f=
ully functional but is limited to 2 connected SMB/CIFS network clients per
=
share. Ideal for small networks!"

It's installable on CF too if you want... personally I'd build my own box,
=
install SAMBA and be done with it... it's not that difficult...=20

Andy