Re: Current carrying capacity of CAT5?

Jim Noble wrote:

> ian.bird@xxxxxxx wrote:
>

> > I have a memory from a while back when this came up and it was
about=20
> 300ma
> > per pair (one plus, the other minus) depending on distance. I
use=20
> CAT5 for
> > my watering valves which draw 230ma at 12v and I have set it up
so
> > only one
> > can come on at any time. Keith Doxey was the guru answering
the=20
> questions
> > then.
>

> This Belden solid UTP cat5 seems to be good for 1.4A continuous per
> conductor:
>
> http://www.minitran.co.uk/pdf/1583e.pdf
>
> Jim

That is strange. Most CAT5  (all i have seen)  is AWG 24 (area =3D=20
0.20mm2, diameter=3D0.50mm, ohm/km=3D 87.5, current=3D588mA)  Belden also
s=
ay=20
they use AWG 24 which is strange but they must have done some strange=20
calculations. But of course it is possible to send an arbitrary current=20
through any conductor. This is a useful technique for constructing a=20
fuse or a ligher for fireworks... ;-)

As a rule of thumb a current of 3A/mm2 can be sent through a copper cable.

Regards
/Ake

> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
> click here=20
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=3D129iaprip/M=3D283686.4531047.5839501.44200=
29/D=3Dgroups/S=3D1705041992:HM/EXP=3D1104943547/A=3D2044486/R=3D0/SIG=3D10=
svm8ftb/*http://www.theironshop.com>=20

>=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

--=20
---
Ake Hedman (YAP - Yet Another Programmer)
eurosource, Brattbergav=E4gen 17, 820 50 LOS, Sweden
Phone: (46) 657 413430 Cellular: (46) 73 84 84 102
Company home: http://www.eurosource.se=20=20=20=20=20=20
Kryddor/Te/Kaffe: http://www.brattberg.com
Personal homepage: http://www.eurosource.se/akhe
Automated home: http://www.vscp.org