Re: Skype Phones - USB

Bit of an update really regarding this.
I did buy the ones from firebox.. excellent service in that I ordered them
@
15:00 and they were with me by 08:00 the next morning.

The phone itself is actually OK. I was surprised by the quality  - it being
higher than I expected. The Lead from USB port through to the base is nice
and long so allowing for leaving the phone on your desk - assuming you have
a tower machine under the desk.
The actual handset (and base) are slightly smaller than a normal BT style
clamshell phone. but as most people have tiny mobile phones this isn't
really an issue for most people.
The actual phone keys (on the base) have a positive click action.
The curly lead was perhaps a little too short.. but not too bad

The installation was not so straightforward though. The install CD comes
with skype 1.0 and installs this and then this installer calls the voip
phone installer. I already had skype 1.1 installed and so it got confused
with installing the voip phone drivers. I couldn't load then direct from
the
CD either. I then downloaded the latest drivers from the website.. got the
phone installed but couldn't get it to link in with skype.

In the end I removed skype 1.1. and the phone driver setup - via add/remove
programs. Rebooted and then did a install of the original CD. This worked.
Then upgraded to skype 1.1  - still OK and then finally loaded the latest
drivers for the phone.. still OK.

PRO :
Sound quality  - very good - better than  my normal landline
nice audible ring tone from the phone
flashing orange lights when off-hook.
Integrates really well with skype. - launch skype when off-hook or use the
phone keys to select the contact to call etc.

CON : I pick up a hum when using it on my wireless laptop which is probably
due to the wireless card
Handset a bit too small when I hold it under my head against my shoulder
Installation of software was tricky due to existing skype software

8/10

HTH

Davey