[OT] Taking mains wires to the consumer unit

  • Subject: [OT] Taking mains wires to the consumer unit
  • From: "David Amphlett" <dave_yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:51:17 -0000

I know we've got some great electricians here.

I can't find anything in the Wiring Regs about bringing mains wires
down through cement ceilings. But I'm sure what I've got at the
moment isn't good from a fire point of view.

3 story house. (New) Consumer Unit in garage. Bringing mains wires
from lounge floor (above garage) down to consumer unit. Lounge floor
is wooden floorboards. Garage ceiling is a strange cement rendered
onto steel chicken wire afair.

I started to make neat holes through the garage ceiling to put the
wires down through, but it crumbled away. Now I've got this gaping
hole (which I've plastered smooth at the edges), but it looks bad and
must be a fire hazard.

Any advice about how I can finish this neatly, safely and within regs?

here's a pic

http://www.daveanddebs.co.uk/home2/index.php?
module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=11&orderby=dateA