Re: Russound 120v - 240v

rb_ziggy wrote:

> I know a few people use and have imported Russound equipment.
>
> I've just acquired a DPA-6.12 power amp which is internally 'factory
> set' for 120v 60Hz operation.  I believe it may be possible to easily
> reconfigure to 240V 50Hz operation.  I've googled etc and searched the
> archive to no avail.
>
> Having a peek inside shows 2 torroidal transformers which are
> currently each fed its own power supply from a circuit board jumper
> type plug marked CN115-1 (to xformer 1). Next to this jumper is
> another (unconnected one) marked CN230-1.
>
> Does anyone know whether the 'factory setting' is simply a case of
> replugging to the alternative jumpers?
>
> (N.B. I take full responsibility etc if this blows up the
> machine/fuses etc)

At a guess the jumper re-arranges the transformers from parallel to
series, such that they always have 110-120VAC across them.

How many pins on the plug? If it's more than one, maybe the 230V plug is
connected differently internally to the 115V version.

In theory, the 115v one should connect the "inner" ends of the
two
primary coils to Live/Neutral, where as the 230v one would connect them
to each other. (The "outer" ends of the primary coil would be
permanently connected to Live/Neutral).

ie:

115V (110V?):
L  _____
3 _____
3&_____
N  _____3

L  _____
3 _____
3&_____
N  _____3

230V (240V?):
L  _____
3 _____
3&_____
____3

____
3 _____
3&_____
N  _____3

I could be very very wrong though, and the secondary coils may be in
parallel as well.

Jim