Latest message you have seen: RE: best HD media player to replace xbmc

[OT] MS Antispyware program - RANT!

  • Subject: [OT] MS Antispyware program - RANT!
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:45:26 -0000

Hi All,

<RANT>

I havent seen anyone else moan about this so am I the only person on the
list using it on a shared XP computer ?

Obviously my profile is different to that of Sharon and Amber but this
program is really starting to p*** me off big time.

We each have differnt home pages in IE and everytime a different person
logs
on and fires up IE we get a notification saying the program has
"allowed" a
change to the IE settings.

When I log on. I get the IE change settings messages plus some the one that
is really annoying me. I have Outlook set to start automatically when I log
on, the others dont. MS Spyware sees this as a change to the Startup folder
and puts up an alert saying "An unknown program - Microsoft Outlook -
is
trying to add itself to the start menu" with buttons to Allow /Block
and a
check box saying "Remember this setting" which if it actually
*did remember*
wouldnt be too bad.

It seems the program references the user profile being loaded against the
"Current User" settings last used which means that if someone
else has used
the PC then Outlook wasnt in the Startup, it sees it as a change and asks
again...EVERY TIME :-(

I know MS bought this program in but at that time it was a working product
that THEY rebranded and called Beta. MS obviously havnet considered the
fact
that their current operating system is designed to allow different uses to
have different profiles on the SAME machine.

Worst of all, an MS branded program running on an MS operating system
decides that one of its own programs is "unknown".

Perhaps I ought to copy this message to
left.hand.developers@xxxxxxx
right.hand.developers@xxxxxxx
and