Latest message you have seen: RE: ...also...

RE: Re: Do X10 Dimmers save electricity?

  • Subject: RE: Re: Do X10 Dimmers save electricity?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:28:37 -0000

> > The power savings from dimming lighting are enormous, if you
> > burn enough hours.  This is why any modern building has
> > controlled lighting, so as to save money whilst providing the
> > design illumination level.

Not forgetting that because the lamps are also driven at a lower level, the
control system can compensate for the lower output as lamps age and for
failed lamps by increasing the level of the ones that still work to
maintain
the illumination level.

> But the savings due to dimming are only worthwhile in the case of
large
> buildings - in a domestic environment it just isn't a valid argument.
> mean, consider a typical C-Bus installation in a typical house
> (if there is
> such a thing) - let's say that costs even £2k (unlikely)? £2k will pay
my
> electricity bill for nigh on 10 years at current prices and I know
that
> lighting isn't my biggest user of electricity.

True, but if it saves the hassle of replacing lamps every five minutes
(bloody supermarket bulbs) then dimming is a good feature.

Agreed, a typical C-Bus installation will cost a fortune but that is giving
you ultimate control over your entire lighting installation. If you want to
simply prolong the life of your lamps then there is another way. Feed the
lighting circuit from a large transformer that sets the voltage to be 90%
of
the normal mains voltage and just switch the lamps on and off as normal.
The
loss of brightness could be compensated for by fitting larger bulbs.

> (The ruddy AV system, which I include the server as part of, is and
that
bitch can't be dimmed!)

But its hardly a "typical" AV system is it :-)

Had to laugh at something on the TV yesterday that said if you switch your
TV off instead of leaving it on standby you could save yourself £200 per
year. Now by my maths that leaves one of two possibilities

1. Assuming 10p per unit and TV being on standby for 16 hours per day

200.00/0.10 = 2000 units saved in a year
16 hours per day * 365 = 5840 hours
therefore Standby Consumption = 2000/5840 = 0.342kW or 342W.

.... I dont think so!!! My TV doesnt even use that in operation!

or ...

2. Assuming 10W on standby and TV being on standby for 16 hours per day

10W = 100 hours standby for 1 unit
5840 hours / 100 = 584 units
200 quid / 584 units = £0.342 or 34 p per unit

I know Mark complains about the price of NI Electricity but I doubt even
Northern Ireland is that high!

Keith