Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Smart Metering Privacy

Re: Was: Paging Comfort CWI Gurus... Now: TTS & WHA

  • Subject: Re: Was: Paging Comfort CWI Gurus... Now: TTS & WHA
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:54:19 -0000

Paul

Thanks - most useful.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@s...> wrote:
> I use a whole house amp - Kustom KHS6640. The ACE TTS output feeds
into the paging circuit which automatically mutes the sources and
plays the TTS for as long as needed. This can also be achieved in a
similar way in software using ACE.

Paging circuit - Neat feature.  But I think I'll have to go software
route!

> Multiple sound cards - to save some cash, you can use a single Sound
Blaster Audigy (value range I think - or any of the more expensive)
and use the kXAudio drivers (do a search). This allows you to see the
4 x stereo outputs of the card as separate cards in software such as
Winamp and ACE TTS. This means you get 4 x stereo outputs in one card
- works very well :)

Ah, you read my mind.  I've a couple of 5.1 cards which, when set up,
will give 6 stereo zones out!

> I think you'll find the control part of your plan the most difficult
to implement - a LOT of work. But it would be very flexible.

Agreed!

> Think carefully about how you might control the sources - would
remotes/iPaq etc be OK (frustrating when you loose or misplace the
remote/iPaq). Wall controllers have some advantage here plus mine also
form a distributed IR network so I can use any IR remote (HomeVision
forms the backend control here).

I'm actually considering having wall mounted iPaq holders (i.e. the
base station attached into the wall holding the unit flush & vertical,
with the charger fed by cat5).  You would then be able to use in place
or lift off.  I just need to figure out how to mount the holder into a
back box neatly.

> The definite advantage with a whole house system is that it provides
a great deal of out-of-the-box functionality that you can supplement
with other HA control methods (especially if you have an RS232
controllable or IR controllable to a lesser extent, system like the
Russound). Creating this all from scratch with a PC based system will
be a lot more difficult.

Yeup but a bit more expensive unfortunately.