Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Smart Metering Privacy

OT - Windows XP removable drives

  • Subject: OT - Windows XP removable drives
  • From: "seniorsimon" <simon.ryley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:41:29 -0000

Thought this might help anyone who uses removeable drives a lot.

Logged into the work PC this morning and plugged in the two
removeable drives I cart around with me, a 64Mb USB flash drive
(work supplied) and a 20GB USB HDD, (me supplied!)  Downloaded a
file I wanted and tried to save to the USB HDD and got an error
telling me that I didn't have write permissions to the USB drive.
Saved it to the Flash drive no probs.

Had a quick scout around, and discovered that since I had
reformatted the USB HDD to NTFS at the weekend, good old Windows XP
was applying the machine default access permissions to it, blocking
me from write access.  As the Flash drive is FAT, access permissions
can't be applied.

All fixed by reformatting the USB HDD to FAT32 on a PC where I do
have admin rights.  Pesky windows!

Might be useful to someone.

Simon