RE: Re: Anyone use "My Movies" for XP MCE 2005

  • Subject: RE: Re: Anyone use "My Movies" for XP MCE 2005
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:40:11 -0000

Mainly in two of these:

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=462&cat=6
0&page=1

> i assume you're running them in
> some kind of array?

Nope - each as a separate NTFS drive mounted into an empty NTFS directory
structure - that way if a drive goes down I only lose one drive worth of
data. Also Win2003 Server doesn't support RAID on external (removable)
devices unless you frig with the registry and when you do that you find out
why - software RAID5 on firewire devices judt doesn't work! It errors as
soon as you try to format the array. Spanning/striping works though but
obviously one drive goes down and the lot goes!

> i'm thinking this is getting quite
> expensive quite quickly....what i really need is to convince
> one of my clients to lend me an IBM Shark.....

LOL - Wait till you want to back it all up!

Phil