RE: Comfort Keypads

Hi Mark,

You might be better off asking this on the Comfort technical group as well.

I currently have 5 keypads and a door phone - in the entrance hall,
landing, utility door, garage, workshop. Door phone is obviously at front
door.

I'd say they are pretty useful to have anywhere where you want to
arm/disarm but also for the more advanced things like opening electronic
locks etc. I have an Abloy electronic lock on one door (very expensive but
incredibly well made and very secure with manual high security key). I can
sign in to Comfort and then operate the lock.

You don't necessarily need that may keypads though depending on what else
you're doing HA wise. For instance, I also have a Visonic powercode
receiver and a number of 4 button keyfobs. I program Comfort and HomeVision
so that one button each unlocks the door, locks the door, opens the garage
door and turns on/off a number of lights. All these actions also have
secondary actions e.g. unlocking the door turns on several relevant lights
(if it's dark), some of which are on a timer then turn off after a few
mins. Unlocking the door also disarms Comfort if armed. The keyfob is meant
to be very secure with a rolling code system. If you put in any other type
of button or interface, you just need to be wary about how secure it is.

I found the keypad on the landing to be the most used initially - but now I
can also see the arm status on the TV via HomeVision and arm/disarm in bed
if I've forgotten to arm it!

It starts to get pretty clever and once the hardware is in place, you can
do pretty much anything :)

Paul.