RE: LED Lighting

  • Subject: RE: LED Lighting
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:42:44 -0000

> Bummer - it's hardly ideal if your mood lighting comes complete
> with a bunch of noisy fans :-(
> Given that each LED head is only rated at 20W, it's surprising
> they need a fan at all.

Dont forget that NJD's history is in the Disco Industry having been started
back in the early 70's by Kevin Hopcroft
http://www.etnow.com/profile/61-70/kevin_hopcroft.htm
who until selling the
company a few years ago used to do all the presentations on the NJD stand
at
trade shows.

In your average FunPub/Club you arent going to notice the noise of a few
fans :-)

NJD kit has always been good value for money but doesnt always have the
refinements of Pulsar/Martin/etc hence the reason why it is a lot cheaper.
few years ago I was down at Plasa with the owner of a pub where I
maintained
the disco gear looking for new kit. She wanted to look at the expensive
makes until I pointed out that her total budget would buy 2 lights at most.
Took her to the NJD stand which was well impressive. Whilst the show was
taking place I was having a quick count up of what was on the stand and
decided there was a LOT of kit there. Afterwards I asked Kevin what it
would
cost me to buy JUST the light fixtures on the rig excluding wiring and
trussing.... bearing in mind that at the time NJD's most expensive product
was £600...85 GRAND!!!

Whilst most companies change the colours and sweep the beams of their
intelligent lights as fast as they possibly can, Pulsar move theirs REALLY
slowly to show just how smooth they are but then there is a lot of
difference between a £600 fitting and a £4K fitting! I think the Martin
stand that year must have had about 2 MILLION quids worth of lighting on it
given the quantity and cost of the fixtures!

Keith